Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Because school is still fun


I had good reasons to request for Natalie to be in morning kindergarten. It turns out afternoons work better for babysitting anyway, but this morning, I'm reminded about those reasons. Let me list a few now.

7:10 am Natalie - "Mom!! Today is school!!!"
Me - "Not till this afternoon, Natalie."
Natalie - "Ohhhh...."
8:10 am Me - "Bye AJ! Have a great day."
Natalie - "Can I just go on the bus with AJ?"
Me - "No, your school doesn't start until after lunch."
Natalie - "I know, but I can just wait there until it starts."
8:15 am Natalie - "Mom, is it the time yet?"
Me - "No, there's still four more hours."
8:16 Natalie - "Is it the time to go yet?"
Me - "No!"
8:30 am Me - "Natalie, where are you?"
Coming in from outside, Natalie - "I was just thinking maybe I should just walk to school."
Me - "You can't walk to school because you would have to cross the highway, and it's too dangerous, and it's still not the time."
Natalie - "Can I go in three minutes?"
9:00 am Me - "What are you doing?"
Natalie - "I'm looking for some bread to make my lunch."
Me - "It's not lunch time."
Natalie - "I know, but I need it for school."
Me - "You don't get to eat lunch at school. You eat at home, and go to school afterwards."
Natalie - "Well, Mom, I think I should just go now, so I don't miss it."
10:15 am Natalie - "How much longer?"
Me - "Two hours."
Natalie - "Can you just set a timer, so I know how long?"
I set the alarm on my phone.
10:15:30 Natalie - "Can I see your phone to see how much longer?"
Etc.

After school, Natalie was very excited to tell me that she had made a new friend. She doesn't know her name, but she was kind enough to pass a pink marker to Natalie, so they're instant friends! AND! Her teacher's name is Ekko just like Natalie's best friend and neighbor, so that was another point for how cool school is. Her disappointments included (shock and awe) the bus does not have seat belts!! And her teacher did not even ask her what 5+5 is, and she already knows that it's 10.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

that was hilarious

James Muhlestein said...

So did school live up to her expectations?

Grandpa Muhlestein

Ps. Time to get an update on your family.. joes job, etc.

PML said...

Oh man, don't you love those kinds of things! I have to set the timer for myself for the bus stop otehrwise I am like Natalie, checking it all the time making sure I do not miss it.

Shannon said...

Too cute! That is exactly how Avery was last year :)