Friday, September 5, 2008

Peachy Keen



Dissatisfied with the quality of canned fruit, I've wanted to can my own peaches for some time. But I've let things like the price of fresh produce, not having a big enough kitchen, etc. deter me for years. Finally, this year, I didn't have those excuses. Joe let me buy about 40 pounds of peaches at a roadside stand (for a great price) on the way home from Packwood. The whole way home (and all the next day), Natalie made fun of the peaches because they have "bums". Joe and I worked together all day Labor Day to can all of them. I got 28 quart jars, a peach pie, and a peach cobbler for my efforts. And...my jars all sealed!! It's been 10 years, at least, since I canned peaches with my mom at home, so there was a lot of guesswork (and a few calls to my mom) involved.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm impressed. You should give me some :)

PML said...

You can just go ahead and give me some of those too. Oh wait you don't live by me...

Jackie Jones said...

NICE job! I haven't canned for a couple of years myself. I can't can on my stove though because it's a glass top...so that's my excuse. :)

Joe and LeiAnn said...

I use my outdoor camp chef because I have a glass top stove, too.

Jed & Allison said...

Do you ship pie?