Thursday, June 5, 2008

Mount Rushmore

The main reason we took the route to Washington that we did was because of the cost. It would not have been nearly as fuel efficient to go any other way. But since we happened to go right past Mount Rushmore, we decided to stop and see it. Who knows if we'll ever be that close again?

We learned a lot about the site and its creator, Gutzon Borglum (try saying that 5 times fast) through a ripoff audio tour. I only say it was a ripoff because they force you into spending $5 on it instead of putting the information on plaques along the path like other monuments I've been to. And only one person can listen at a time. If I'd stopped at each checkpoint and listened like I was supposed to, the tour would have taken us 2 hours or so. Instead, we walked fast, didn't stop, and I fed Joe and the kids the information from the tour, minus the propaganda.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Cool!!

S&J Jones Family said...

I need to do that again, too. Looks like you had fun.