Tuesday, December 30, 2008

AJ's winter...ish concert


AJ’s kindergarten winter concert was the 9th of this month. Joe and I were somewhat disappointed. We crowded ourselves into a tiny gym along with what felt like thousands of other parents only to hear AJ sing two songs that were neither festive nor Christmasy. One of the songs (although I use that word loosely) had to do with a snowflake, but that was as close as we came. I realize that schools have to be religiously neutral, but what’s wrong with a little “Sleighride” or “Walking in a Winter Wonderland”? Frankly, I would have been overjoyed to hear a Hanukkah or Kwanzaa song from my son. I don’t think avoidance entirely promotes tolerance any more than focusing on the majority’s beliefs. Jumping off the soap box…

I have a video of his concert that I'm going to try to upload, but I don't know if it will work or not. My computer is being dumb.

No comments: