Thursday, October 1, 2009

Joe the Demolition Derby Racecar Driver

Last week I was finally able to do something I have wanted to do since I was a kid.

I was able to drive a demolition derby car in the races at our local rodeo arena. I realize this may sound lame to some, but let me explain. This is a short 1/8 mile oval with 8 cars in FULL CONTACT racing. There’s additional prize money for the most aggressive driver out there (i.e. take out the most competitors). The wonderful part about this is my buddy/boss has paid for everything (the car and all entry fees).

So they start out with the time trials, and I was all kinds of nervous. But I ended up pulling off a 12.89 second lap which I later find out was the 7th fastest lap of the night. This qualified me for a trophy dash. They run two trophy dashes; the first for the fastest four and a second for the 5-8. Well on the first lap, I was spun out by a faster car, and the guy behind him smashed into the driver’s side rear corner. I need to add they hit hard. While I was trying to recover, I swear I ate 2 lbs of dirt. I was in a front wheel drive car, and all of my competition was in rear wheel drive in this race, so I was eating their dirt the whole time. My goggles even had ¼ inch of dirt in the bottom. Needless to say, I took last in my race.

Anxious to redeem myself, I was in a regular heat race next with a more diverse group of cars. I was quickly able to take the lead, and I looked up ahead and there were two cars all tangled up in front of me (perpendicular). So in my .5 second analysis of the situation, I decided to try to hit one of the cars right in the rear axel. I neglected to account the fact that the car I hit was a Cadillac El Dorado as seen here.
http://www.avicarcollection.com/PICT0021.JPG/PICT0021-large.JPG
Needless to say I was stopped dead in my tracks, and I was passed by two other cars. I was able to get my car going again, and I ended in third place. I did talk to the guy I hit and he told me it was possible the hardest hit he has ever experienced (I bent his rear axel smashed his rim and blew out his tire and he had to cut back his rear fender a bunch to clear a new tire).

My last race of the night was called an Australian Pursuit. In this race, you start staggered around the track. When you get passed, you pull over and stop. When there are only two cars remaining, you race for 1 more min and if there are no more passes, then you call it a tie and split the money.

In this race I was just running for dear life, and I could have sworn I was being passed on every corner. The back end of my car was bouncing over the ruts so hard I was told it was 1 ½ feet off the ground. I ran about 12 laps, and I was right behind the two cars trying to take each other out when the guy in front of me finally completed his pass.
We go for another 3 laps and I realize we are the last two out there. I was not going to catch him, so I let off a little and coasted to a tie for 1st in that race.

I ended up winning money in two of my three races totaling a whopping $50 which I gave to the my buddy who had $500+ invested at this point.

In summary this was one of the most adrenaline filled experiences ever!

This is a video I took of my co-worker driving the same car in a different derby before I busted the car up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vNByRBi848

2 comments:

Remodelaholic said...

So Joe, I had to laugh because I recently got a book update from your wife. It was a book about her love for some actor... and that her husband would have to tragically die for her to be able to love said actor. Then I read this... Just don't go killin' yourself! But it sounds like fun and it sounds like Joe!

HOpe you guys are doing well.

PML said...

It would have been a lot of fun to see this. We'll have to plan a trip to see you next year!