Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Stranger Danger


This is a little embarrassing, but I'm posting this because I know there are other parents out there who will sympathize.

We took the kids shopping at Lowe's the other day for various kitchen remodeling pieces. While in the faucet aisle, the kids seriously just disappeared. Joe and I turned around, and AJ and Natalie were both gone. So we started looking around a few aisles thinking they couldn't have gone far and couldn't find them. We had to call a Code Adam. As soon as it was called, they emerged from behind some big items in between the aisle, and a store clerk found them. They thought it would be funny to hide from mom and dad.

So we decided it would be a good idea to have a family home evening lesson on stranger danger. We spent the evening playing out scenarios of how a stranger could get them if they're not careful and explained further why they have to stay with mom and dad in the store. The kids thought it was so funny to play "Stranger Danger" that Natalie has been asking me to pretend to be a stranger all day, so she can run away screaming, "You're not my mom!"

3 comments:

Andrea said...

they make leashes for kids....

PML said...

Sounds like it WAS funny for them to hide from mom and dad. ha ha!

S&J Jones Family said...

It IS embarrasing, I know. James has done that before. Scary, too. I can hear Natalie screaming and saying "You're NOT my Mom!"